Friday, September 6, 2013

Popping Up...Again!

Remember last summer!? We did this! And we're doing it again!

Tomorrow, Saturday 9/7, from 10-3 we will be slanging veg, making bouquets and talking up our new offerings! It's a great time of year for seasonal produce buying...my favorite, really. Because, finally, the tomatoes are on! We're growing about 30 plants this year, a notable increase from last year's 17. But I didn't experiment with varieties as much. I stuck with my true favorites: Cherokee Purple, Paul Robeson, Mortgage Lifter, Persimmon, Green Grape, Black Cherry, Sungold, Matt's Wild Cherry and Juliet Hybrid. My only experiments were a lemon yellow currant-sized cherry for floral designs and Indigo Rose, the *actually* black tomato, which I am still figuring out...hard to tell when that one's ripe!

We're also growing my favorite kind of tomatillo, Mexican Strain. It tastes nothing like it's bulbous, Hulk-green cousin! It's sweet...I mean, caramel-cherry-pineapple-kinda sweet, but with a serious tang, too. Oven-roasted in salsa, it will absolutely knock your socks off. Raw, cut into a green salad with sharp white cheddar and blueberries? Incredible :)

And with any luck, we'll have some hella-hot Scotch Bonnet peppers to continue with the socks-knocking-off!

Ok, speaking of new offerings...I have them! I'm still in marketing materials development, but I'm totally ready to talk vision. I've realized that my heart is calling out to do more of my art, extend my aesthetic out into the world, work hard to create sustainable beauty around me and for my community. So Flying Bear Farm is shifting business focus onto Floral, Event, Garden and Lifestyle Design! The other part of my realization was that, no matter what, growing food is life. It's what I do, what I want to teach others to do, and where I find true beauty. But it's not what's going to pay the bills...YET. So I'm turning my innate skills and gleaned wisdom around design into my livelihood. Come talk to me more about this awesomeness and what I can offer while I'm tying bouquets at the POP-UP FARM STAND!!!

Lots of summer love to you all!
-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment